Governor Janet Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey have formally established the Independent Commission to Investigate the Facts of the Tragedy in Lewiston.
The Executive Order is to determine the facts of the October 25th shootings in Lewiston, including the months preceding the shootings and the police response to them.
The Governor and the Attorney General have appointed seven experts with extensive legal, investigative, and mental health backgrounds to serve on the Independent Commission. The experts include:
- The Honorable Daniel E. Wathen, Chair: Former Chief Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- Dr. Debra Baeder, Ph.D: Former Chief Forensic Psychologist for the State of Maine
- George (Toby) Dilworth: Former Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Maine and current Managing Director, Drummond Woodsum
- The Honorable Ellen Gorman: Former Associate Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- The Honorable Geoffrey Rushlau: Former Maine District Court Judge and former District Attorney for Sagadahoc, Lincoln, Knox, and Waldo Counties
- Dr. Anthony Ng, MD: Board-certified psychiatrist and medical director of Community Services for Northern Light Acadia Hospital
- Paula Silsby: Former United States Attorney for the District of Maine
In a joint letter to the members of the Independent Commission, the Governor and the Attorney General said they selected them because “each of you brings a wealth of personal and professional legal, behavioral, investigatory, or other experiences that will help bring to light these facts for all to know and understand”, adding that each member is “highly respected for your abilities, your expertise, your impartiality, your integrity, and your fair-mindedness.”
“These qualities, and your experiences, will be fundamental to the discharge of the Independent Commission’s duties,” the Governor and Attorney General wrote.
The Governor and the Attorney General also made clear in their letter that the Independent Commission must conduct itself in an independent and objective manner guided only by the pursuit of the facts.
More on the Independent Commission to Investigate the Facts of the Tragedy in Lewiston HERE.
A copy of the Governor’s and Attorney General’s letter to the Independent Commission can be found HERE.
A copy of the Governor’s Executive Order can be found HERE.