Gov. Janet Mills has proclaimed this week as Explore Maine Agriculture Week!
It’s a prefect time to celebrate and support Maine’s farmers and food producers.
Governor Mills said:
Our agricultural community is a cornerstone of our state, contributing significantly to our economy, supplying families with high-quality, locally-grown food, and sending Maine-made products to markets across the world. This week, I encourage Maine people to explore farms in their area and to join me in thanking our farmers for all they do on behalf of our state.
A list of participating farms in the 2022 Maine Open Farm Day can be found at RealMaine.com. Open Farm Day planning resources include pre-made trip itineraries by county, with contact info and maps to help decide which parts of the state, and area farms, to visit. The Real Maine event calendar also includes some of the farm activities.
Tips For Maine Open Farm Day Visits
- Most farms are open from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., but not all.
- Double-check the schedules by using local listings, such as social media, webpages, or calling the farms.
- Generally, there is no fee, or registration, to attend. But some sites sell farm products – Bring a cooler or shopping bag to transport your fresh farm goods.
- Keep pets at home – wash your hands or use sanitizer to help keep farms and animals healthy between visitors.
- Arrive with questions about agriculture and a taste for an outdoor adventure for this rain or shine activity.
- Follow signs and directions – stay on the paths or in areas open to guests.