• Post category:Local News

A 68-year-old has died as the result of lighting himself on fire at the Big Apple Convenience Store on Maine Street in Poland.

From the Maine State Police:

October 25, at approximately 1:00 am, the Fire Marshal’s Office was contacted by the Poland Fire Department and asked to respond to a fire at the Big Apple Convenience Store located at 1510 Maine Street in Poland. Investigators responded and determined that an adult male, 68 years old, drove in and parked next to a gas pump. He then removed a gas pump handle and poured gasoline on himself. He then walked a short distance away from the gas pumps and lit himself on fire. An employee of the Big Apple ran outside and extinguished the flames. The victim died as a result of his injuries.

The Office of Chief Medical Examiner in Augusta has been contacted and the remains will be examined at a local funeral home. The incident is still under investigation and the identity of the victim is not being released at this time, pending notification of the family. There were no other injuries or property damage as a result of the fire.

Investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office were assisted during the investigation by the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office.

Latest Local Central Maine News